How serious is COVID-19?
Effects of COVID-19
COVID-19 generally causes mild illness, especially in children and young adults. Most people recover from it without special medical treatment. About 1 in every 5 people affected with COVID-19 need hospital care. However, in sever cases, complications can occur, leading to:
- Organ failure
Since COVID-19 is a newly discovered disease, it is difficult to have an accurate estimate about mortality rate. However, recent studies suggest a mortality rate between 1.4 to 3.4%.
Most vulnerable or high-risk groups
- Elderly people
- People with compromised immune system
- People with chronic medical conditions (e.g. diabetes, heart, blood, lung or kidney disease etc.)
- Those who have recently travelled to a place affected with the disease outbreak
- WHO: Q&A on coronaviruses (COVID-19)
- healthline: Coronavirus Incubation Period
- WebMD: New China Report Sets COVID-19 Death Rate at 1.4%
- Mayo Clinic: Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Resource Center - Harvard Health